THE FUTURE IS OURS TO SEE
"We can see our future #OnlyTogether!"
The International Film Festival on Human Rights this human world (thw) will hold the Short Film Competition on Human Rights 2021 under the auspices of the United Nations Information Service (UNIS) Vienna, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in Austria, the Climate and Energy Fund Austria and the Chief Executive Office of the City of Vienna for European and International Affairs in cooperation with schools in Austria, Hungary, Slovakia and Slovenia.
Students from 10 to 20 years old are invited, as a class or individually, to develop short films inspired by the articles of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. After a year in which inequality and challenges have become ever more evident, we want to emphasize the importance of solidarity and cooperation. The multitude of conflicts in recent years have shown that cooperation which exceeds borders, sectors, and generations is needed in order to face them.
Hence, the theme of this year's competition: We can see our future #OnlyTogether!
The following questions can serve as a starting point:
1. What kind of future do we want to create?
2. What are we doing to create our future respectfully, thoughtfully, and free of violence?
3. What and how do we consume? How do we handle the supply of cheap goods in areas like lifestyle and nutrition etc.?
4. How can we jointly address global displacement and avoid people being forced to flee due to economic and political conflict or climate change?
The film submissions will be reviewed by an international jury. The short film, which is awarded the Jury prize, will be shown in the framework of a movie night within the international film festival this human world, which will take place from the 2nd until 12th of December 2021 in Vienna/online.
After numerous and qualitatively outstanding submissions in the last twelve years, we are looking forward to inspiring and exciting contributions from individual students or group works from school classes again in 2021. The competition will be internationally advertised by the UN partner organizations and announced among local educational institutions in Austria, Hungary, Slovakia and Slovenia.
Framework conditions for the competition:
The competition is open to children and teenagers aged 10 to 20. The film entries can be submitted by students individually or as school class. The maximum length of the short films should be 3 minutes. The film entries can be produced and edited using any means provided by the schools and/or available to the students. From professional video camera to phone camera everything is welcome, and every genre is allowed.
The registration for the competition should be send via Email to firstname.lastname@example.org by the 20th of June 2021.
Registration should include:
1. Prize: Let's Build the Future together, by Lucia Poláková
2. Prize: Dark Dreams On My Mind, by Veronika Matusáková, Nika Moravanská, Zuzana Gálová, Patricia Sturdíková, Soňa Földiová
2. Prize: Vienna Times, 31. Oktober 2050, by the 4B of Bundesgymnasiums 18, Vienna
Jury Statement 2020